Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pirate Intervention

My child is obsessed with pirates. It all started out innocently enough as a strong liking to Captain Feathersword from the Wiggles. (Which at one brief point turned into an intense fear of said Captain but that's a different story). Then he started dressing like Captain Featherword. He has the whole getup; the hat, the vest, the belt, the sword, and yes, even the eye patch. Then he started noticing pirates and things associated with pirates everywhere. There is a ship wheel on the wall at Trader Joe's. Mr. Peanut's monicle is an "eyepatch". The kid finds pirates in the most obscure places.
I have enabled this behavior. We're all enablers. My mom bought him the pirate hat. I cut up a red t-shirt to create a pirate vest. Steve bought him the feathersword. We have gotten him to eat his dinner by calling it "pirate chicken". (Which works nicely, by the way). It never seemed like a problem.
But then this week he started referring to Steve and me as "me hearties". Now I'm truly worried.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

How cute. They don't stay this little for that long. Welcome to blogging. It is so much fun.