Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sibling Revelry

As excited as I was to welcome our second child, there were moments at the end of my pregnancy when I worried about the effect our new addition would have on our toddler. I would look at him and think "What have we done?" I worried that his entire world would be thrown into upheaval and I braced myself for the inevitable fallout that would occur the second we walked in the door with Bundle of Joy #2. I couldn't have been more wrong. Chase has been completely in love with his baby sister from the moment he laid eyes on her. Pretty amazing for a kid who didn't even quite grasp the fact that there was an actual human being growing inside me until she was here. He is so gentle with her, without ever having to be told to be so. He asks to hold her. If she is crying, he bends down very close to her and says "Don't cry baby Jordyn. That's okay". (And he has actually succeeded in quieting those cries on several occasions!) He kisses her goodbye whenever he leaves the house. In all that time I spent thinking about how Chase might react negatively to a new baby, never once did I consider that it would be as wonderful as it has been. I mean, does it get better than THIS?

3 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

Adorable!

Now you'll have to keep that picture in a safe spot so that, in a couple of years, when they are punching/fighting/biting/kicking you'll remember that there was love!!

Midwest Miscellany said...

That's just insanely sweet!

Jean said...

That is SO sweet! I too had the same worries as you about the upheaval, but have been pleasantly surprised.